Survey Results from the Tzedek Committee
Thank you to everyone who participated in our Social Justice Advocacy Survey last month. Members were invited to select the three issues they believe our Shaare Emeth community should devote its time and efforts to right now. 236 members completed the survey.
The Tzedek Committee reviewed these results at our December 4th meeting and wanted to share some of our initial thoughts.
- We noted that the top three issues of Gun Violence, Antisemitism, and Racial Justice are interconnected in a broader message of combating hate and its impact on minority communities. We will begin work on a multi-pronged approach, focusing on a combination of education, experiences and advocacy, to tackle these challenges.
- Part of that work will be the creation of Circles of Action and Concern. Members who wish to make a difference in particular areas will be invited to come together to organize meaningful actions that can lead to change. In particular, we hope to engage more youth and younger members with a renewed focus on Climate Change.
- We cannot make the impact we want in isolation. It is critical that we engage beyond our own experience, reaching across faiths, geography and demographics. Fortunately, Shaare Emeth has a number of existing partnerships with other religious communities, coalitions and organizations upon which we can build.
- We are committed to contacting every member who completed a survey, either by email or phone, with follow-up opportunities and connections.
- We are proud that we offer multiple opportunities for Shaare Emeth members to volunteer in service projects, directly impacting the lives of the unhoused, the hungry, new immigrants and children in our greater St. Louis community. These projects will continue.
- If you were not able to complete the Social Justice Advocacy Survey last month, but would like to be involved, please contact Stacy Jespersen at [email protected] and let us know where you want to jump in!
Thank you again, to everyone who took the time to respond to the survey. We are excited and hopeful about the work that lies ahead for us to pursue together.
The Tzedek Committee of Congregation Shaare Emeth
Sue Picus, chair, Samuel Baker, Lorry Blath, Ronnie Brockman, Julie Eastlund, Dianna Fine, Caroline Hoff, David Gerst, Andrew Goldberg, Josh Goldman, Stefanie Greenberg, Jenny Hoffman-Mentle, Ted Houser, Leiba Levine, Corey Miller, Bill Remis, Stan Shanker, Gary Sherman, Jenny Shrensker, Bob Stein, Dana Weinstein, Kathy Weisman, and staff: Rabbi Andrea Goldstein and Debbie Bram